Dietitian Liability Insurance
Protect your career with A+ rated malpractice insurance for $143/year. One up-front cost and no long quote process.
Reliable Dietitian Liability Coverage at a Peace of Mind Price that Includes License Protection
It’s your goal to help your clients achieve a healthier, happier lifestyle—it’s ours to seamlessly protect you so you can accomplish just that. At Career Shield Insurance, we prioritize your protection above all else by crafting unique, reliable, and affordable liability insurance policies specific to your professional needs. We believe in putting dietitian professionals like you first. It’s our mission to protect, safeguard, and cover your career, your finances, and your future—no matter what happens.
Our coverage protects registered dietitians (RD’s), dietetic technicians, nutritional consultants & counselors, nutritionists, and clinical nutritionists.
$3M Annual Aggregate
Have peace of mind against any allegations of malpractice that may occur with $1M per occurrence and $3M annual coverage. Get instant coverage in just 5 minutes.
$25K in License Protection
If a complaint is made about you to a state licensing board, we have your back with $25,000/year in coverage to defend your practice and license against any disciplinary charges.
General Liability Included
Included at no extra cost, we include $3M/year in general liability insurance… also known as “trip and fall” insurance. Most other companies charge an extra $100+ per year.
Affordable & Reliable CoverageProtecting your career shouldn’t be difficult or expensive. Career Shield makes your process of getting Dietitian insurance easy and simple:
- Just $143 per year
- Monthly payments available starting at $13.11/month
- One up-front price no matter if you are full-time, part-time, employed, or self-employed)
- One-step checkout with no quote process
- Get an instant certificate of coverage immediately after payment
- Professional/General Liability: $1 Million per occurrence / $3 Million annual aggregate
- First aid coverage: Up to $10,000
- Good Samaritan Coverage: Up to $25,000
- Loss of Earnings Coverage: Up to $10,000
- Assault on You Coverage: Up to $25,000
- Rental Damage Insurance: Up to $100,000
- Deposition Expense Coverage: Up to 10,000
- License Protection: Up to $25,000
Trusted In Your Industry & Beyond
We’re thrilled to welcome you to our team! Join over 300,000 professionals who are experiencing peace of mind, comprehensive protection, and business-building coverage with our best-in-class malpractice insurance and exclusive member benefits. The best part? We’re backed By Arthur J. Gallagher—Fortune 500 global insurance brokerage founded in 1927—and underwritten by Arch Specialty Insurance Group—with an A+ Rating by AM Best.
Dietitian Insurance Policy Highlights
More Services Covered—No Additional Cost
Working with people in the capacity you do—helping them become happier and healthier through their food choices and diet plans—is an incredibly rewarding career. It also comes with inherent risks, too. We realize that no clients or patients are identical. You need the freedom to provide a multitude of services, treatments, and plans to serve them best. That’s why we cover more services for your dietitian career for no additional cost. Even better? Our coverage is designed to be flexible, agile, and portable. That means where you go, your coverage follows.
Coverage That Follows You
Moving practices? Switching states? Striking out on your own? Our coverage will follow you no matter what you decide
Top-rated Customer Service
Our customer services reps love talking to Dietitians. Need help or have questions? Give us a call at (866) 945-1699 M—F, 8:00am to 6:00pm ET.
Any claim filed after the policy expires will still be covered, as long as the incident took place while the policy was active. Learn more >
Get group rates on vision and dental. Plus get access to Telehealth allowing you to consult with a physician 24/7/365 with only a $10 copay.
Exclusive Member Benefits
We’ve created an extensive suite of exclusive members’-only benefits for all of our insurance members:
- Telehealth: Consult with a physician 24/7/365 via telephone, video, or mobile app without needing health insurance — with only a $10 copay.
- MetLife: Get access to affordable group rates for dental and add-on vision plans.
- VSP: Get up to $300 in savings on eye exams and glasses.
Lenovo – Save 30% off the everyday public web price of Lenovo’s entire line of PC products.
- UPS: Get special pricing on UPS with 50% off Air, 30% off Ground, and free UPS Smart Pickup® Service.
- Office Depot/Max: Get 75% off Office Depot and OfficeMax preferred products.
- Rental Cars: Get up to 25% off the base rate on Budget and Avis rental cars.
Do I Need Dietitian Insurance?
You work in a specialized field that requires you to be up-close and personal with your clients, but more than that, you’re advising and treating your clients with your advice, experience, and skills. Any time a patient or client’s health is involved, it’s imperative to have your own liability insurance. Why? Because unfortunately, accidents happen, things go wrong, and allegations are made. Though dietitians like you are skilled, experienced, and professional, there’s no guarantee of how someone’s body will react to your treatments or advice—if something bad was to happen, you could be on the hook dealing with the repercussions and damages on your own. With dietitian liability insurance, though, your services, treatments, and advice are covered. This way, you’re teamed up with a reliable insurance partner who will have your back no matter what. Ultimately, the right type of dietitian liability insurance will safeguard you, your career, your finances, and your future.
Dietitian Liability Insurance FAQs
Insurance can be an overwhelming subject—especially if you’re just now learning about what you need and why you need it in your dietitian career. We’ve made it our mission to strip down and simplify the complications of insurance to help better educate and inform you about the key facets of liability insurance. Keep reading to take a peek at some of the most frequently asked questions from dietitians just like you—we hope these answers can provide clarity and insight on your liability insurance journey.
What job titles are covered under the Dietitian insurance policy?
Our policy protects registered dietitians (RD’s), dietetic technicians, nutritional consultants & counselors, nutritionists, and clinical nutritionists.
What is the difference between "Occurrence-form" and "Claims-made" insurance policies?
Occurrence form insurance and claims-made insurance are two different types of insurance policies. At Career Shield Insurance, we proudly offer occurrence form coverage for a very distinct reason—reliability.
Occurrence form coverage guarantees that you’ll be protected for the time period in which your policy was active—even if a claim is filed retroactively. That means if someone files a claim against you a year after your policy with us expires, but the alleged event took place when your policy with us was active, we’ll cover you—no questions asked.
A claims-made policy will not work the same way. Instead, they’ll only take care of you when your policy is active.
So, if you are insured from January 1st 2021 to December 31st 2021 and an incident occurs in May 2021 but the claim is not filed until May 2022, Career Shield still covers you even if your insurance has expired.
Many other malpractice insurance providers provide Claims Made policies. This means that the policy must be active when the claim is reported in order to trigger coverage. In other words, any claim filed after a claims-made policy expires will not be covered, even if the incident in question took place while the policy was active.
Can I trust Career Shield with my malpractice insurance?
Absolutely. Let me tell you a little more about us:
Career Shield is part of Arthur J. Gallagher, which was founded in 1927 and is one of the largest insurance brokers in the world. We provide A+ rated professional liability insurance direct-to-consumer that is 100% online and at the best price. Being part of AJG ensures your coverage is 100% secure for years to come.
Career Shield Insurance is also underwritten by Arch Insurance. Since 2001, Arch has designed superior insurance underwritten to fit our customers’ needs. We chose Arch as our underwriter because it is A+ rated by AM Best and has a superior, customer-first claims process should you ever need to fight a claim.
Isn't my employer's policy enough to cover me?
The short answer is no, for two reasons:
- Your employer likely has a shared limit. This can be troublesome if other employees use up the claims limits before you and you’re left without coverage.
- Personal coverage follows you from job to job. So if you leave a company, and a claim is filed after that, you may not be covered by the employer’s coverage.
When will I get my proof of insurance certificate?
As soon as the internet processes your payment you will receive an email receipt with your member number and temporary password to the Career Shield member portal.
Just reset your password and login to:
- Download your insurance certificate
- Access your member benefits
- Add an additional insured
What member benefits come with Career Shield Insurance?
In addition to being protected by Career Shield’s top-notch insurance, you also have access to some incredible member benefits:
- Telehealth $10 Co-pay – Consult with a physician 24/7/365 via telephone, video, or mobile app without needing health insurance — with only a $10 copay
- MetLife Dental plus Vision – Get access to affordable group rates for dental and add-on vision plans. Get an instant quote and coverage that starts the very next month.
- 75% Off Office Depot – Get 75% off Office Depot and OfficeMax preferred products. Get basic office supplies and furniture to stock up your office or workspace.
- 30% Off Lenovo – Save 30% off the everyday public web price of Lenovo’s entire line of PC products. Plus, receive free ground shipping on all web orders.
As soon as you sign up, you can log in to your Career Shield member portal to see all benefits.
What happens if I need to file a claim?
You can rest assured that when an incident does occur, you have complete coverage. While all parties hope that you never need to file a claim, if such a need arises, here are the three steps you will want to take:
- Assess the Situation. Although we cannot give any legal advice, it is recommended to be cautious with any open lines of communication directly with the injured party, as you could open up the assumption of risk.
- Contact Us. Call our customer service team at 866-945-1699 between 8am and 6pm ET Monday-Friday. One of our licensed agents will provide you with a claim form to fill out with details of the incident, and instructions on where to send that form.
- Breathe Easy Knowing Our Team of Professionals Are On It. Once the claim form is received by the appropriate party, you will receive an acknowledgment letter in about 2 business days that will contain the name and contact information of a claims adjuster who will work with you for the remainder of the process.
What if I have more questions?
If you have any quesitons at all about your coverage, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at (866) 945-1699 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I see General Liability is included for free, but what is the difference between "General" and "Professional" liability?
As a dietitian, it is very important to have both general liability insurance and professional liability insurance coverage. Make sure when you are looking for coverage policies that you opt for one that provides both of these. General liability insurance, often referred to as “slip and fall” insurance, covers you against any third-party claims for injury or property damage. If for instance, there is sweat or water on the floor of your work setting and a patient slips and injures themselves you are covered.
Professional liability insurance is a little different and sometimes referred to as “malpractice insurance”. This coverage will protect you against any third-party claims accusing you of:
- Practicing outside the scope of training or education.
- Carelessness. An example of carelessness is serving contaminated food that leads to a food-borne illness outbreak.
- Failure to keep current. Education doesn’t end when schooling does. Dietitians are expected to keep current and informed. If a nutritionist is operating on the basis of outdated information, they may recommend improper or ineffective treatment.
Can you define the coverage types included above?
First Aid Coverage
- Career Shield will pay up to $10,000 in expenses incurred by any Insured for first aid rendered to a person other than a patient that causes Injury. The first aid must be provided during the policy period and reported within forty-eight (48) hours after the Injury occurs.
- Example: Render first aid to a neighbor at a picnic to tend to an open wound. In the process of tending to neighbor your first aid kit and supplies are contaminated. Insured asks to have new kit and supplies replaced.
Good Samaritan Coverage
- Career Shield will pay up to $25,000 on behalf of any insured for a good samaritian incident. A good samaritian incident shall mean professional services rendered during a sudden and unforeseen emergency situation for which no fee or income is received.
- Example: Athletic Trainer is attending sports event as a spectator. Athlete rolls an ankle and is injured during event. No other professionals are available so Athletic Trainer spectator tapes up ankle. Athlete returns to game and proceeds to break ankle.
Deposition Expense Coverage
- The Company will pay up to $10,000 on behalf of any insured for any reasonable fees, costs and expenses necessary to prepare you for a deposition provided that you are not a party to the lawsuit; the lawsuit is related to those professional services contemplated under this policy and for which coverage is granted.
- Example: Two shifts within pharmacy. Day and night. Our insured is the night pharmacist. Day pharmacist is found to be stealing meds and falsifying prescription records. Our insured is interviewed and called as a witness. First time appearing within court setting and needs to be prepped for questions.
Loss of Earnings Coverage
- The Company will pay up to $10,000 on behalf of any insured for any reasonable expenses incurred by an insured to assist The Company in the investigation or defense of a claim including loss of earnings of up to $500 per day due to time off from work.
- Example: Pharma Tech is called as a witness and asked to attend drug trafficking trial. These techs tend to be hourly employees and need to supplement income if they are required to be at a trial for an extended period of time.
- The Company will pay up to $25,000 on behalf of any insured for bodily injury to you or to your personal property resulting from an assault or battery upon you while performing your professional services.
- Example: Athletic Trainer is providing treatment to athlete at school. Fist fight breaks out between the student who is getting treatment and another party. While trying to break up the fight Athletic Trainer is punched and mouth and subsequently requires dental work.
License Protection Coverage
- The Company will pay up to $25,000 on behalf of any insured for reasonable expenses resulting from an investigation or proceeding by a state licensing board or other regulatory body provided that the investigation or proceeding arises out of events which could result in a claim under this policy. Reasonable expenses shall include legal defense and expert witness testimony.
- Example: Audiologist is alleged to have incomplete or inaccurate patient records. To respond to matter insured would have to demonstrate proper records are in fact in place and has a plan to continue to be in compliance with state requirements.
Every Insurance Policy Sold = 1 Tree Planted
“The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” —Chinese Proverb
Every time someone joins Career Shield, we plant a tree in their honor. Thanks to our health & wellness community and our friends at Trees for the Future, thousands of trees have been planted so far.
Help us grow a future for our planet by referring your friends to our program today.